I’ve had a cookie problem since age 3, well maybe sooner, but that’s the earliest I can remember at least.
The most vivid memory I have is sneaking into my aunts bottom cabinet (clearly she approved of my cookie addiction) and helping myself to multiple Oreos. I’d always have one in my hand and one in my mouth, so if someone asked if I got more I could easily say “nope same one” as I tried to hide the one in my mouth…I think it only worked because everyone was to busy chatting. Haha, either that or they were ok with the fact that I had already had 4 maybe 6 cookies.
Well, flash forward to my wedding day, no surprise we had cookies instead of cake. Then for my birthday one year literally, NO JOKE every single friend made or bought me cookies haha…its bad guys.
Well no days on this journey striving for my life back dealing with chronic illnesses I’ve been on so many different diets. But the one that is sticking the most is the paleo diet, so here I am in search of the perfect paleo chocolate chip cookie.
The problem is most amazing paleo chocolate chip cookies have coconut sugar in them, and well my body just isn’t a fan of coconut a whole lot. But, then. I found this recipe that used maple syrup, but it still had coconut flour. Well in all my baking experiments I’ve found cashew flour is a beautiful substitute for coconut flour hooray, thank you Jesus for these discoveries.
So, today, my friends I present to you a no added sugar, no coconut paleo friendly cookie…oh also no eggs. Hooray! Bring on the cookies again…ok but maybe not as many as I once had.
Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- 1/2c cashew flour (You could try almond but I haven’t tried this)
- 3/4c Cassava flour (Or you could try arrowroot flour, again I haven’t tried this)
- 1/2tsp Himalayan pink salt
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3/4c raw organic honey
- 2tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2tbps flax seeds mixed with 3tbps water
- 1/2c organic palm oil shortening
- 2oz pure cocoa 100% cocoa bar chopped into small shavings or 1cm size pieces.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two cookies sheets with parchment paper.
2. Prepare your flax egg mixing the flax seed and water together.
3. In a large mixing bowl stir together the cashew flour, cassava flour, baking soda, and salt.
4. Melt honey in microwave for 10seconds to get it easier to mix or over a stop top pan for one minute, don’t let it boil.
5. In a small bowl mix together honey, flax egg, and vanilla extract.
6. Using an electric beater or whisk add liquid ingredients into dry flour ingredients. Add in palm shortening. Mix until combined.
7. Fold in chocolate.
8. Using a 2tbps cookie scooper or spoon, spoon cookies on top of pan 3 inches a part from each other and the edge. The cookies will spread as they bake. (Note: you can eat these raw if you like or follow the instructions to bake them)
9. Place pan in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until edges are golden brown.
10. Let cookies cool and enjoy. Store in air tight container or freeze a few!
*Notes & Variations:
- These have no egg so you can roll into little balls and eat raw or freeze a few to cook later
- Cook all of the cookies and freeze some for later!